Thursday 7 August 2014

Sequin Applique Varsity Jacket

I love varsity jackets! I have been scouring various vintage stores and online outlets for several months for the perfect varsity jacket. One that was in my price range, (high shipping fees have put me off a number of times, obvs) one that doesn't cross the line between oversized and just plain massive (a thin line for someone below average height) and one that didn't have too much print on it to cover up. (I've seen everything from swimming pools to funeral directors advertised on the back) Not asking for much, then. While I am still on the search for THE perfect jacket, I purchased this one in the meantime:



I got this in Oxford Street's Primark a couple of months ago. It vaguely reminded me of a jacket I'd seen lusting after collections on the Saint Laurent website, which I think is what initially lured me in. I purchased it for £10 knowing they didn't stock it in my local Primark, so I at least wouldn't see anyone nearby with it. It looked kind of average which always bothered me, and I always sort of had intentions of personalising it. Little did I know that within a few weeks I'd see a rail of these jackets while I was working, and then see loads of other people wearing them. Seeing other people wearing something you have always gives you that sinking feeling, doesn't it? I thought I'd better get a move on customising it.
I did originally plan to make a classic felt varsity patch in black and white to match the stripes, but then thought about making it a little different. Sequins are obviously my go-to embellishment, and I'd been interested in trying sequin applique for a while.

INSPO: Ashish
I am a huuuuge fan of using sequins in casualwear / everyday wear and Ashish do this perfectly. FW14 features heavily sequinned sweatshirts and denim and even some varisty letters.






I started off with a template which I then transferred onto black felt. Overall I think the sequinning took me about eight hours, with fairly regular gaps to play the Kim K game, obviously. I then sewed it onto the white felt to make it stand out a bit more and applied it to the jacket. I am super happy I went with the green sequins in the end, the colour changes in the light which admittedly makes them look so cool















Materials used:
  • Black felt - 30p
  • White felt - 30p
  • Black strung sequins - 30p per metre
  • Iridescent strung sequins - 29p per metre

(Ashish FW14 images - Style.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment